People may does not know that the Florentine lily was originally white on a red background, but it was transformed into red on a white field from Guelph in 1266, as a sign of victory over the Ghibellines. The “giglio” is the symbol of Florence town since the eleventh century. It has uncertain origin, but the most accepted legend sees the name “Florentia” join the symbolism of rebirth, the arrival of spring and the goddess Flora. The name was chosen the year of town’s foundation, by the Romans in the year 59 B.C. during the spring celebrations.
At the time of the City of Florence the lily symbol was sometimes represented into a shield kept by a lion, the famous Lion of Florence called “Marzocco” (Signoria square).